Friday, June 29, 2012

Update

Sorry I've gone so long without posting a good update. Life's been busy I guess! We're doing well. The "honeymoon" phase has worn off, and we're starting to settle into regular life, which has been hard. Harder than we expected, but it's good. We mostly like it here, and we're figuring ways to enjoy it more/appreciate it better all the time.

Dylan is really liking his job. The hours are a little more relaxed than they were in Boulder which means he gets to spend lots of time at home, and we get to do a lot of fun things on the weekends.

James is doing really well. He's excited to go to Kindergarten (German preschool) in the fall. For now he's really enjoying Kinderpark twice a week, and being in his "big boy class" at church. He's recently been really interested in bible stories, and his favorite right now is David and Goliath. You can frequently find him pretending one of his toys is a "slinky" (sling shot) and heading off to get Goliath. He's also really into his pirate playmobils and sword fighting! He completely gave up naps a few months ago, so during nap time he's learning how to play quietly with toys that aren't as well suited to David (play-doh, markers, playmobils, etc.) which he seems to really enjoy.

David is changing every day it seems. He still doesn't have a ton of words, but he's starting to use the words he knows more and more, and he's getting better at communicating what he wants and needs. Today he brought me an empty cup and pulled on my hand till I followed him to the kitchen, once there he pointed at the refrigerator indicating he wanted a drink. I handed him his sippy cup full of milk and he started gesturing, and shaking his head, and telling me "nein, nein" (his one german word!) making it very clear that he wanted his milk not in his sippy cup, but in the "big boy cup" he had initially given me. Once I gave him a drink in the big cup (against my better judgement!) he went away very pleased with his successful interaction! He's also very busy, constantly running full speed around the house which leads to him nearly constantly having a bump on the middle of his forehead. Poor little guy! He and James are really becoming the best of friends, of course they fight like all siblings, but they also really love and enjoy each other, and play together nicely. Yesterday I was in the kitchen cleaning up, and I heard so much squealing coming from the other room I thought someone must be hurt. I rushed in to find James crawling around on the floor and David "riding" on his back and squealing in delight. So precious!

I am doing really well most of the time. I still get really homesick occasionally, but aside from that I really like it here. I've made a few new friends recently, and that has been really encouraging. I'm also enjoying my German class which is wrapping up next week, and I'm hoping to start a new class in the fall. I started taking the boys to an English speaking women's bible study at our church once a week, and that's really helped feel more connected and plugged in at church, which is great.

I'm going to make an effort to update more often, and I finally charged up my camera batteries, so maybe I'll post some pictures as well!

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Seeing them yesterday it's funny that both boys currently have bumps on their foreheads. As active as they are, I wonder if they sometimes bonk into each other. If James gives David another horsey ride, try to get a picture! Bet that was the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! No proving I'm not a robot. I was largely unsuccessful at it. Uh oh. I just noticed that I'm unknown, now. How do I make these things so hard? This is Sandy, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very uplifting post, Grace! I'm so glad Germany is starting to feel more like "home" to you in some ways :)

    I've been here in Pittsburgh 2 years now and I still miss Colorado in so many ways. But I'm also finding more and more things I love about being here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Grace, how I love reading your blog posts! You write so well and make it all so interesting like we are right there with you! Thank you for making us a part of it. I just love knowing what is going on with you... and I loved getting to see you all and talk with you on FaceTime and Skype the other day! <3 U !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mari (bailarina2005)July 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

    Grace, I'm back to reading your blog after ages! It is great to hear from you, and to know that you are starting to feel better about Germany.
    Right now we (DH and I) nare in the middle of a relocation drama. I hope it solves soon.
    Oh! and the "David riding James" story is awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete