Friday, May 10, 2013

Random coffee shop conversations

Today I had a conversation with a quirky bavarian guy. I was sitting in a coffee shop drinking coffee and doing my meal planning for the week on my computer. The old man sitting next to me leaned over and said "hubbedy blobbedy bop?" To which I responded, "bitte" (excuse me) to which he responded, "wie bubbedy bloppity das?" To which I responded "noch ein mal, bittle" (one more time please) To which he finally said "Wie viel kostet das" (how much did that cost) pointing at my laptop. I responded and we went to on to have a sort of long funny conversation. My German has come a long way, but I still have a pretty hard time understanding the standard bavarian accent. Luckily, most people will at least try to speak "high German" when they realize you can't understand "Bayerish". I still had a difficult time understanding him, but he understood me ok, so it all kind of worked out. 

Our conversations went something like this:

me: "I'm not sure how much it would cost here, I bought it in America, for 1100$, so about 800€ or something, but of course all apple products are much cheaper in America"
him: "Oh, you're American, I thought maybe so from your accent"
me: Yep, I'm American.
him: "I was in America 2 years ago, in California, it was nice, but I think for living, here is much better"
me: "yeah, I can't really say, America is such a big place, and it's not all the same, here is very nice, but it's hard for me to say"
him: "no, I'm sure its nicer here, I will never forget the poor children on the bus in California (?), here is much better"
me: "maybe so, but American is not all the same, where I' come from is very different from California for example, when I visit California it all seems strange and different to me as well. But for me, living here is hard, because I don't speak the language very well, and my family is not here, and everything is new and different, so it's hard for me to say, we plan to go back to America in a few years though."
him: "Yeah, but you speak so well! And in a few years you will even speak perfect bavarian."
me: "haha, maybe, I learn German in the school, and the only teach us high german"
him: "yeah of course that's true, but you live here, in Garching?
me: "yes"
him: "then you will also learn bavarian."
him: a bunch of long stories and explanations that I only sort of understand
me: "yes, yes, I know what you mean, well I should get back to work"
him: "yes of course," gets up to leave, "well I wish you a very nice stay in Germany, bye bye"
me: "thank you, have a nice day, bye"

It's pretty simple looking back at it, but probably the longest conversation I've had in German with a complete stranger. As an American I can't imagine insisting to a foreigner that my country is way nicer to live in than there country, but it happens a lot here. People are just more blunt/honest I guess. In a weird way it doesn't feel impolite. It's not like their trying to start a fight with you or something, just, stating the facts the way they see them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Random conversations are the most encouraging~I'm often at that same language level where talking to complete strangers is the perfect match for my ability. And I can't even count the number of times I've had almost the exact same conversation with taxi drivers out here! When I travel outside of my city, they'll even try to convince me that their city in Korea is better than the one I currently live in.
    I'm very impressed that you manage all these adventures with two kids in tow :D
    ~christa

    ReplyDelete