Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Easter Break

I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say, so it might come out kind of muddled, but anyway...

This week and next are our Easter break. My class is cancelled, David's kinderpark is closed and James' Kindergarten is half staffed this week and closed next, so I decided to keep him home both weeks. Last year I totally dreaded these weeks of Easter break. The stores are closed a lot (Good Friday, Easter, Easter Monday). With the kids activities cancelled and not a lot of things to do, these times of "break" can feel really lonely and boring. This year however, is quite different. I am so thankful for two weeks off from my class. As much as I like learning German, it's nice to feel like I have a little time to relax, get things done around the house, and spend time with my boys.

Today, I also saw Easter break in a bit of a new light. When I have two weeks off before Christmas, I don't dread that. I fill the time with baking Christmas cookies, planning and wrapping gifts, watching Christmas movies, decorating for Christmas, etc. Why is Easter not like that? As a christian, Easter is equally if not more significant than Christmas. And yet, so far, in our family (Me, Dylan & the Kids), it passes each year, barely noted. We've done ham dinners, and the last few years an easter egg hunt with the kids, but overall, it has not been a holiday we've devoted a lot of time or attention to. Today I decided it's time for that to change. I want to start some Easter traditions as a family that will help point us toward the meaning of Easter. I want to make Easter decorations, and read stories, and watch movies about Easter. Thankfully, with two weeks off from school, I have time to make that happen. Today the boys and I watched a bible story video about the Easter story (not a very good one though, anyone have some suggestions?). James had so many questions for me, and I really enjoyed the chance to discuss with him what we believe and why. I didn't realize he was old enough to have so many questions and so much understanding.

I am so grateful for this time, and I am so looking forward to all the years of celebrating Easter that our family has ahead of us. I'm excited to come up with some traditions that we can look forward to every year, and to spend this time really considering the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, and what it means in our lives. We are truly so blessed!

I am still looking for ideas for cool Easter traditions to start, so any of your have suggestions, please share them here or on my Facebook, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. That is very cool that you are thinking this way! I have long thought that we need to focus more on Resurrection Sunday and have wondered why it doesn't get "equal billing" with the celebration of Christ's birth. This is what Christmas points to and you are doing well to instill the wonder of it all in your kids! I remember the "resurrection eggs". Have you done them? They could be too old for your little guys since they require reading but I am not sure. I will look them up and send you a link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to put some together Vicki! I remember doing them as a kid. The only problem I see is that they don't have boxes for 12 eggs, so I either need to get rid of 2 eggs, or put them in something else, or...? I'm sure I'll figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe two could go in a couple of the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! That was easy! I just clicked on "subscribe to email" over to the side of where I publish my comment (I thought I already was!) and it said follow up comments would be sent to me! Whooo-hooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love some of the European traditions - making time for families around the holidays I think is one of the best. I really wish we would adapt some of these practices in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, we were there last Easter! We must not have been as stimulating as we thought we were. The church services were so awesome, particularly the Good Friday service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you were! And you were very stimulating. I was more talking about the week after you left last year, and holidays in general. I was going to say something about how the first week of Easter break last year was fine, because you were here, but the post got away from me... ;-)

    ReplyDelete