Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kinderpark

I am just finding more and more things to like about living here!

About 2 blocks away from our house there is a kindergarten. (Like a preschool for kids aged 3-6) I have applied for James to go there in the fall. A few weeks ago I found out in that same building they having something called "Kinderpark." It's like a drop-in daycare three days a week for children from 18mos-3 years. You can drop your kids off for the morning from 8:30-12:30 and the cost is... wait for it... 7 euro a kid. I have never heard of child care that cheap in the US. I think there is a drop in daycare in Boulder for 8 dollars a kid, but that's per hour, not per day. I thought this was a great deal, so last Friday I went to check it out. I figured they would only let me leave James, but as long as I was there, I tried for David as well. (after all, he's nearly 15 months, and that's basically the same as 18 months, right??)

So on Friday we went. They told me (I think, it was all in German) that David could join for that day, but not necessarily every time. I think she told me that sometimes they go outside when the weather is nice, and David was too young for that (I think that's what she said, most of my assumption is based off the expressions on her face). So anyway, on Friday I signed them in, and since some of the other mom's seemed to be taking their time leaving, I kind of settled in to see when they would go. One of the German mom's there spoke good English, so that was great, I sat and chatted with her a lot. She told me she wasn't leaving, her daughter didn't do well with that, so she would stay for a few weeks until her daughter got used to it. The other mom tried to leave. Three times. Every time she left, her little boy would cry and they would go get her, she was always standing right outside the door I guess. After about an hour, I figured none of the other mothers were going to leave, but I had stuff to do, so I went up to the woman in charge, who seemed to speak the best genglish (that's german-english) and told her maybe I would pay now, and go. She told me "no, you should stay for today." What?! Um... ok. So I stayed. It wasn't that bad actually, they kept the kids busy, I got to visit with the other mom's, and I got to see what goes on in the center. When I finally did pay at the end of the morning, she told me it was €10.50. Apparently the second kid is half price. So, 4 hours of childcare for 2 kids for €10.50. Even with the currency exchange that's pretty awesome. It comes to $1.7 per hour per kid! The kids had a great time. They have tons of cool toys, and did lots of different activities.

So today there was this Bazaar in town. (like a one day consignment sale of kids stuff) I really wanted to go, sans kiddos. I took them to the kinderpark, and luckily, they knew about the sale, and were really encouraging people to go, so when I asked if I could leave the kids there and go, they were super supportive of that and did not make me hang around all morning. I asked if David could stay, and while I understood basically none of what they said back to me, I'm fairly certain from the woman's demeanor, and the expression on her face, combined with the 3 words I understood, that she said, "David did so well last time, it doesn't matter if he's 15 months, and it's fine for him to stay here anytime" (we'll hope that is what they said anyway, it really shouldn't matter, he acts exactly the same as the 18 month old children there, and even if he were more verbal, they probably wouldn't understand him since they don't speak much English! Gross motor skills-wise he's been walking for 6 months by now, so I think he's good) I waited until the kids were engrossed in the cool toys, and then with a nod from the woman in charge, I left. It was wonderful, I have been solely(or on the weekends co-) responsible for these kiddos since we got here 6 weeks ago, and I think I just needed to know that is was possible for me to get a break, where I know they're in really good hands and having a great time. I went to the bazaar (got some great deals!) and then came home and relaxed, read my bible, did some chores, and caught up on some internet research I've been meaning to do. Then I went to the grocery store, and back to pick up the boys, I showed up early in case things weren't going well. They were having so much fun it took them a few minutes to notice me when I came in the door (and it's a pretty small room). Awesome.

It feels so empowering to have successfully accomplished a goal (leaving the kids at daycare) even with my limited German. And it feels so good to know I have that option, and if I need to go shopping, or do laundry, or just have a little time to myself, I can leave them at the Kinderpark, where they're loved and cared for and have a fun time. Furthermore, the kids actually like it, and I think they'll pick up tons of German being there, which is awesome. Yep, Today was a pretty good day!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds great! You definitely want to get on the good side of the day care ladies. Maybe you should take them some of the delicious bakery items mentioned below. Butter them up, so to speak. I'm sure that is exactly what they're saying about David, by the way. What a cute picture of James!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds awesome! Yeah... there is nothing here that cheap that I have heard of. Even most of the after school programs are crazy expensive...

    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Grace, that is wonderful! I loved reading about it and found myself chuckling out loud all the way through! I am so glad for this blog!! Love to ALL of you!

    ReplyDelete