Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Integration

I few months ago I received a letter from the German government. When I first received it, I skimmed over it, and was able to understand that it said something about an integrations course, registration, and some fast approaching dates. I understood that they were either telling me, if I wanted to take an integrations course I needed to register soon, or that I had to take the course and needed to register soon. I took the letter to a German speaking friend, and she assured me that they were telling me I was required to register for the course, but she also assured me that it must be some sort of misunderstanding, and if I would just tell them how well I was already integrating, and that I was taking a German course already, they would let me off the hook. A few weeks later ( I am so bad about dealing with this sort of thing) I sent an email asking if I could be excused due to the above stated reasons. A few weeks went by and I received no answer. I assumed they had agreed with me and had decided not to pursue it further. It might seem really silly that I would assume that, but back in February when we had applied for our residence permits they had told me that the course was optional for me and not required. The day before we left for our trip to the US, I finally got an email back from the Ladratsamt (district office) Informing me that no, I most definitely was not exempt, and yes, I most definitely did need to register for an integration course. He would send me some information in the mail. This was stressful, but I was heading to US the next day so I decided not to worry about it and wait till we were back to deal with whatever he was going to send me in the mail.

After a blissful 3 weeks in the US during which I spoke no German whatsoever, and hardly even thought about German, or Germany, I came home to a letter and a bunch of integration course fliers from the Landratsamt. We arrived back in Germany on December 11th. The letter I received informed me the next test at my local school was on December 12th, and that I needed to find a course and register for it by December 20th! I was jet lagged and miserable, but I went ahead and took the placement test the next day. The results were simultaneously good and bad. The woman administering the test felt that my German was quite good (yay!) but, unfortunately, that meant the course offered locally would be an inappropriate level. And while my German was much to good to take a course meant for people who spoke no German at all, it's still much, much too bad to test out of the integrations course altogether. With no course available in my town, I was forced to search for a course in the city. Of course, I can't just take any course, it has to be a specific government approved integrations course, and it has to have child care, because I can not get into the city, complete a course and get back in the amount of time that I have David at Kinderpark.

After a ton of internet research, I was able to find an organization that offers these courses for women, and include child care. There next placement tests were on December 20th (talk about cutting it close!) After a long afternoon including 4 tests with this organization, I was finally able to be placed in a course which includes child care. The course is 3 days a week, 4 hours a day. It's about a 45minute train trip from our house, so I will be gone roughly 6 hours a day, 3 days a week. James will have to extend his hours in kindergarten, and David will be in a new daycare.

I would be lying if I said I was totally happy about this. On the one hand I know it will be good for my German, and probably just good for me in general, but I feel like 6 hours a day is a long time for James to be in kindergarten at 3 years old. And honestly it's a little frustrating to me that I don't have any choice in it. I feel like if I want to stay home with my children, and raise them myself, I should have the freedom to do that. I understand the reasoning behind making this type of course mandatory, but it's just a little too intrusive for my taste. That being said, I'm trying my hardest to have a good attitude about the whole thing, and I will do my best to make the most of the opportunity. I can see God's hand in the way everything has worked out with all of this, and so I am (trying to be) trusting him that this will be a wonderful experience for all of us.

The course starts January 8th, so just 6 days from today. It's going to be a BIG change for our little family, I would really appreciate your prayers that everything works out, and it doesn't end up being too overwhelming. I can barely finish my housework now, with 3 morning a week at home by myself with the kids in school, so I really don't know how it's going to go once the class starts up!

5 comments:

  1. Ugg...Sending my love and prayers. Everything will work out. And the housework can wait and it will still be there right??

    At least it's not too long of a time....Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it'll all be fine Grace, by God's grace! You know you are being prayed for through it all :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sweetie! I am sorry you have to go through this, but know you will do fine and it will all probably be very beneficial for you. I do very much understand you not wanting to be told you HAVE to, and I would be dragging my feet even more than you! I will be praying and I know you will have the prayers of MANY! How long will this last??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, it will be ok! I can see why you are a bit put off by the whole thing. Dagny goes to preschool 5 hours a day 2 times a week. I know she would be just fine if it were 6 hours, 3 times a week as well and that James will thrive. He is smart and independent. Kids are so resilient. And remember, the course is temporary! Things will settle back into place when it wraps up. So many possibilities await you! Perhaps you'll meet a new friend, or learn something important about yourself or your family in this process. Or a bunch of things about Germany that will make your life that much easier. All my best to you and the family! I hope everything goes gently with the course and upheaval. I'll be thinking of you. -Carly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh man, I'm sorry. Stressful. Adding more to your already full life. I wish I could come do your laundry and clean your bathroom for you! But don't worry about your housework, let some of it go for a bit. Your house is always so incredibly immaculate, and it can stand to be a bit dirtier for a little while (it'll make the rest of us feel better!) And Dillon can help out with that too. You're now working part time, so two working parents both pitch in to get the rest done. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete