Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Alphabet Soup

With the colder, rainier weather we've been having lately, I decided we should have something hot for lunch today. I've been roasting a chicken every week, and then using the bones to make a yummy chicken stock, so I was inspired to make some kind of soup. The only problem is the kids won't really eat most soups, and when I'm home alone with them, I really don't have the energy to cook a big meal that only I will enjoy. Then I remember those canned soups I used to eat as a kid, like alphabet O's or chicken and stars, and I got inspired. We ran to the store for tiny alphabet pasta, cooked it up in some chicken broth, added some bread and a glass of milk, and called it lunch! (I promise my kids eat fruits and veggies pretty much exclusively for snacks, so they can afford the occasional carb heavy lunch)



David exclaimed it tastes like "punkin pie"!



James was equally enthused, but I couldn't get him to stop eating for long enough to really capture it.



There it is: home made, from scratch yumminess. It was better than the canned variety for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment