Monday, September 2, 2013

Home alone

Dylan is gone to conference this week, so the boys and I are home alone. He's only an hour away, but it it will be the longest we've ever been without him in Germany. I miss him a little bit already. There's something so comforting about knowing no matter what my day is like, at the end of the day he'll be there.

We've had a good time of it so far though.We had a very laid back, almost relaxing day. We did a little bit of shopping, an art project, some laundry, skyping, and some home made pizzas. We're trying something new for bedtime tonight. I always sit in the room with the boys while they go to sleep, but I remember something my mom did when my younger siblings were kids and it inspired an idea. I've told them if they stay in their beds by themselves until they fall asleep, I will give them some money in the morning that they can put into a jar and save up until they have enough to buy something. We're talking pennies, so it may as well be beans or buttons, but they don't know the difference, and they're excited about it, at least for now. We'll see how it goes!

I'm trying to put my free evening to somewhat good use. I discovered that I can watch German tv without being completely lost and am thinking it might be a good way for me to somewhat passively keep up on/improve my german skills. I subscribed to a 30 day trial of the German version of Netflix. There aren't a lot of options for goos shows, but they have all 7 seasons of the Gilmore girls, which is a show I knew and loved back in college. So far I've watched about 5 minutes of it. They talk really, really fast. I only know what's going on because I've watched the show before. I think I'll give it another 10 minutes, and if I still can't understand anything, switch to something else. Who knew that a characteristic that made a show zany and fun in my own language makes it's totally ridiculous when trying to understand it in a foreign language.

No comments:

Post a Comment