Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Improved attitude

I am attempting a 180° turn around in my outlook on everything here. So far, I've had a, "well we'll struggle through in spite of the fact that everything sucks" sort of attitude, and that has spiraled into a big pity party full of grumpiness and a lack of motivation to do anything. Not good. In my devotions last night I read about the Israelites complaining because God had provided them with manna, but no meat, and they were bored of eating the same thing every day. I was so quick to judge them for being so ungrateful, and then I realized that I'm exactly like that. God has blessed us with so many things, and I'm still so quick to turn to grumbling and complaining if everything doesn't go exactly my way. I'm definitely going to try to change that.

Furthermore, I have some real things to be thankful for this week! Here's a list:

James and David's "Fußsacks" arrived on Monday. I can now take them out in the cold without them freezing to death. In case you don't know what a fußsack is, it's like a sleeping bag for your stroller. For James it comes up to his armpits, and for David it comes all the way up to his chin! here's a picture (taken inside on the couch, I'm not trekking down the 2 flights of stairs just for a picture):


We've finished all of our pressing errands; applied for health insurance, registered with the police, opened a bank account and stocked our kitchen!

We both have cell phones up and working!

Brendan got us a VPN connection! For those that don't know what that is, it allows us to connect to an IP address in the US, so we can watch US television shows and access american websites like Netflix and Hulu.

I have plans! After days of staying in the apartment, and only leaving for groceries/errands, I have two playgroup type things to go to this week, and a party we're invited to next Tuesday for Valentines day.

David's napping! For the second day in a row, David is napping, and he did his version of sleeping through the night last night! (In other words he only woke up to nurse, and didn't wake up and want to play for 3 hours in the middle of the night)

I have all of you! All of the sweet comments, and facebook posts, and email have meant so much to me. Seriously, everytime I open up an email or a comment or whatever with your encouraging words, I get all teary-eyed, it's really cool to have so many people encouraging us.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad things are settling down for you! I think that once you settle in, the adventure will really begin! You're in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Grace!!! I really feel that as you slowly start to make connections with people living near you, start getting out...and the weather gets better (you have no idea how much this helps with mood and feeling good- Germans literally swarm outside as soon as spring hits and it is such an awesome thing to be a part of)that things will get so much better. I still am just in awe with how much you have managed to do in just a week. So impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, you amaze me! What an awesome reflection. I can learn so much from you. I'm very glad to hear that your getting settled in and have things to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Grace! Way to focus on the positive. And you've gotten a lot done in only a week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sweetie, I know how hard all this must be, but you are looking in the right direction... to God and at how he has blessed you. You really have accomplished a lot and it is great you have already made playgroup contacts! I am praying for you and your precious family! (BTW... James looks so cute with his haircut. I thought it looked shorter in his sleeping picture and now I see it is definitely different!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing so awesome, Grace! Don't be too hard on yourself for being down about it all--moving to a totally new place no matter where that place involves major adjustment and ALWAYS make me feel depressed and bummed out no matter how excited I am for the change....add to that being totally exhausted and worried about kids, learning a new culture and language...it's so much at once! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! You're the best :-)

    ReplyDelete