Friday, February 3, 2012

Jet lag is terrible!

Sorry I haven't updated yet. I thought jet lag was hard as an adult, but add in two small kids, and these have been some of the most frustrating days. We're having the worst time getting the kids to adjust their schedules, and I don't really know when they "should" be sleeping, so they're basically tired and grumpy all the time. Everyone keeps reassuring me that it will get better, and their schedules will adjust, so I'm hanging on to that promise and hoping we can all stay sane in the mean time.

Anyway, we got here with no problem at all. I had fairly realistic expectation for the flights, and it went pretty much exactly how I expected it too. I had very unrealistic expectations for the boys ability to adjust to the new time zone, so that has been very frustrating. Accomplishing most things here is harder than I expected it to be. So in general, things have been harder and worse than I expected. But I think a big part of that is the jet lag and lack of sleep. I will hopefully have a much rosier outlook in a couple days.

Do stay tuned. Sometime soon I'm going to write up a post pointing out all the things we've experienced that have been different than they would be in the US. Also, eventually, I'll also write all about our flights. Till I can get some more sleep ~Auf wiedersehen!

4 comments:

  1. Grace, hang in there! I asked my friend who moved to Paris from the US recently to come check out your blog and offer advice. Sending love to you and the family. P.S. I once had a very bad case of jet lag (Hong Kong) and had to resort to sleeping pills to get myself back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi im carly's friend who lives in paris :-) we just returned home wednesday from 2.5 weeks in the US. i also have a 2.5 year old and a baby (3 months). they are doing well. my advice is to wake them up in the mornings around the same time they used to i.e. 7am. get them to nap at normal times after lunch etc. then start bedtime routines as normal. if they wake up in the middle of the night keep the lights out, no feedings or try to delay them as long as possible, if they insist on playing they should do it quietly and in dimmed lighting. sorry to tell you this but it just takes time 3 days or so. there are herbal stuff you can get can't remember the name but it starts with an M. which is what our bodies make to sleep. i also hate to tell you but the jet lag going to the US is worse! and i wouldn't recommend it unless you stay at least 2 weeks. its just not worth putting them through it. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all to get the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there!! I know for us we always have a bad 5 days but then everything is fine. Of course in the midst of it I am just miserable!!!! But I promise you will have happy cheerful children again soon, and nights in which you actually get some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete