Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The master bedroom

I finally have the closets organized, so I'm not totally embarrassed to post pictures. Our master bedroom is actually just a loft above the living room. It's quite large, but we've yet to figure out a way to utilize all the extra space. I considered making it into the kids playroom, but I'd honestly rather have them navigate the spiral staircase as little as possible. It's not exactly ideal, because it essentially turns what should be a 2 bedroom apartment into a 1 bedroom apartment. Back in Boulder we would put James to bed in his room, David to bed in our room, and then having the living room to hang out in all evening. Now if we put David down in our bedroom, we really can't talk or make any noise in the living room, so we have to do quiet activities in the dark, or go to bed. We're working on getting both boys sleeping in the same room by themselves, but so far it's not working terribly well.

Here are some pictures of the master bedroom:

This is the spiral staircase going up:


The bed(s) - They duvet covers are different colors because David had a puking incident all over my side of the bed Sunday night, yuck! Thank goodness we were supplied with a change of linens.


Our newly organized closets:

This is what they look like closed:

 

The The useless not yet utilized side of our room: 


The baby gate from Ikea keeping the kiddos from falling down the stairs:


4 comments:

  1. How do you keep them from going UP the stairs? Those stairs would stress me out so bad! Can't wait to see how your space evolves. I'm sure it will grow on you as you personalize everything and figure out what you want to do with all the weird nooks and crannies. Do you have a marpac or other sound machine? it might help David sleep through your evening activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no way to keep them from going up. I tried putting a chair in front of them, but James just moves the chair out of David's way, and up they go. I guess I'm not so paranoid about them going up, David does not know how to go down very well yet, so that makes me especially nervous. Honestly I just try to keep them out of the living room whenever possible.

      Delete
  2. That staircase is beautiful!

    You have to love awkward spaces! Eventually you'll figure out how to use it. We had an awkward space in our house and I tried millions of ideas to try to figure out how to utilize the space before finally coming up with something that worked. You'll get there.

    You amaze me with how productive you have been! How blessed your husband and children are to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It already looks so nice and clean organized, way to go! I'm sure you will figure out something for the space soon, and that the boys will adapt to sharing a room.

    ReplyDelete