Monday, February 6, 2012

The kitchen

Basically my whole adult life, I have had a small and somewhat crappy kitchen. As a matter of fact, as I've gotten older, instead of getting bigger and better, they've gotten smaller and worse. I guess, knowing that to be true, I should not be surprised by our kitchen here. I actually saw a picture of the kitchen before we left, and I thought it looked kind of nice, not that bad. Now I preface this by saying, that I'm very grateful to have a kitchen, and by no means am I whining, but... this kitchen is terrible. It is the same size as the bathroom, which is the smallest bathroom I have ever had. There is only one sink. No dishwasher and one sink. The oven is small, like a toy oven for a child or something, and the refrigerator fits nicely under the counter. It's a good thing everything comes in small packages here, I can't imagine trying to fit costco purchases in this kitchen! Here are some pictures:

The oven looks deceivingly normal sized, but it's not. I don't think you could fit a cookie sheet in there!


That's the whole room All in one picture, there's not any more kitchen behind the door or anything.


This is the fridge with our stock of groceries, drink containers can only stand upright in the door, and they are a lot smaller than the quart containers of juice or milk you would buy in the US!


The other funny thing about our kitchen is the door. I've never seen a residential kitchen in the US with a door on it like that. Apparently it is kind of common here though. I'm probably going to have to find some new hobbies, cooking and baking are just not so fun in this kind of kitchen. It will probably be good for my marriage though, Dylan was always getting annoyed at me for making messes in the kitchen back home! 


6 comments:

  1. Oh my! You will definitely have to learn new ways of doing old things in that tiny kitchen... and you will have to shop differently, like every day, instead of stocking up! I hope there is a market nearby. (Don't forget your bags and Euro for a cart!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am always shocked when I go back to the States at how huge the packaging and amount of everything is- you'll get used to the small sized fridge, although you probably won't ever love the kitchen. Your fridge looks so well stocked for only being here less then a week!!! I'm impressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I lived in an apartment with an even smaller kitchen once. There was only standing room for one person. To open the refrigerator door you had to squeeze into the corner by the stove and suck in your tummy! It wasn't fun, so I totally feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I am sure if this kitchen had a normal fridge, you would not be able to open it! I usually work in the kitchen with David on my back in the ergo, and that's been really difficult in this kitchen because he can reach everything from my back, yesterday he threw a glass from the sink on the floor and broke it, oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely take that door down. Hide it under a bed or something. What an adventure.

    ReplyDelete