Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The pizza debaucle

Friday night I planned to bake a frozen pizza. I was looking forward to an easy dinner with very little mess and hassle. I waited till the kids were starting to get hungry, turned on the oven, and popped in the frozen pizza. About 10 minutes after putting the pizza in, I went to check on it. It seemed about half done. Of course, the boys followed me into the kitchen and set right to turning all the knobs on the front of the oven. I shooed everyone out of the kitchen, turned the knobs back to their appropriate places and closed the door. 10 minutes later I went back to check on the pizza. It looked exactly the way it had 10 minutes ago. I thought that was weird, but assumed it had to do with the thick crust of the pizza, so I turned the oven temperature up a little and went back out. 5 minutes later I checked again. The pizza was still cold. No melty cheesy goodness, and definitely not edible by my standards. At this point I was starting to get concerned. I turned the oven all the way up to broil and waited 5 more minutes. Nothing. And the broiler had not turned orange like my one back home. At this point I was pretty sure the oven was broken. So, I thought I would make grilled cheese. I turned on the burner and waited for it to get hot. A few minutes later, the burner was still stone cold. Uh-oh. At this point I started to suspect that a breaker may have been flipped. I checked the breaker box, and sure enough, there was one switch flipped the wrong way. It wasn't one in a row though, it was a different color and was set apart from the rest of the switches. I thought about flipping it just to see, but I was worried I would make the apartment blow up or something, so I decided against that. It was time to find a plan B.

Dylan was not due home any time soon, because he was picking up the rental car. I decided I would order a pizza. I got out our pizza delivery flyer we had gotten in the mail. At this point it occurred to me, that my German is not really good enough the order pizza. I could probably communicate what I wanted, but I have a hard time understanding what people say to me, so answering any questions properly was out of the question. I decided not to call to order pizza. Instead, I looked online for a delivery place that I could order from on the internet. I found one,Yay! I had to spend €17 to get free delivery, but for a large pizza, that didn't seem too ridiculous. Of course, a large pizza was only €7 so I also ordered a salad, a tiramisu and a liter of apfel Adelholzener (like an apple sparkling juice). I placed the order, and a green check mark and some german words, that didn't google-translate in to anything that made much sense popped up on the screen. I didn't get a confirmation email, and there was nothing on the webpage saying when the order would come. I tried pressing the "order" button again, and this time, a pop-up saying (roughly) I had already placed that order popped up. So I assumed the order was successful.

Shortly after I ordered the pizza, Dylan got home (much earlier than I expected), and flipped the breaker. Of course the oven came back on right away. So we decided to finish cooking the frozen pizza and give that to the kids, and then eat the pizza delivery when it showed up. After an hour of waiting for the pizza delivery to show up, I started to think my order had not been successful after all. By the time it finally showed up, two hours after I ordered it, we had all but given up hope that it would arrive at all.

The delivery pizza was ok. Not terrible, but cold, and nothing special. Dylan thought the frozen pizza was better. We did learn some valuable lessons from the whole thing though. Pizza delivery is totally not worth the money here, the breaker flips if you turn on all the burners and the oven, and I need to trust my instincts more!

4 comments:

  1. Remember you only tried one delivery place- just like in the States there are good and not so good places. I am guessing you ordered from a place that was a bit far away as 17 for free delivery is very steep- normally you are looking at 6 to 7 Euros. The most popular and successful chains in Germany are Smileys, Joeys, and Call a Pizza. I just checked and Call a Pizza has a location in your town, and they do offer online ordering from their websites (callapizza.de) the other good site is pizza.de, you just put in your zipcode and then it shows you all the places which deliver to you (not just pizza) and the minimum price to order, plus you can do it all online. Just in case you do ever want to try to order food again :D :D

    At least now you know about the breaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know Ash! I used Pizza.de, and went with the first one on the list. It was a town about 5-10 minutes from here by car. I totally don't mind spending €17 on pizza necessarily, I would just want it to be bigger than a totinos pizza! I'll definitely try out Call a Pizza next time. So far everywhere I've found selling pizza has been like a Turkish place that also sells Doner kebab and that sort of thing, and the pizza has not seemed like American pizza, so I was starting to think that it did not exist over here... Good thing I have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great now I'm hungry for pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visit http://www.online-takeaway.co.uk in partnership with Hungry House they give you the best pizza ordered online.

    ReplyDelete